Re: Debian Lenny amd64 hangs when loading parport module

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 08:16:31AM -0500, Jose Perez wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:20 AM, lee<lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:52:50PM -0500, Jose Perez wrote:
> >
> >> I got an error about problems creating a foomatic filter from the
> >> KDE printer assistant.
> >
> > What did the error message say?
> >

> Well, I'm using KDE in Spanish but trying to translate the message to
> english it says something like this:
>

> "Impossible to load the required driver:
>
> Impossible to create the Foomatic driver
> [HP-DeskJet_920C,gutentprint]. Or the the driver doesn't exist, or you
> don't have the required permissions to execute this operation"
>
> Remember that I disabled the loading of lp and ppdev (and so parport)
> modules editing the CUPS LSB script.

Yes, but I think it doesn't have to do with the lp and ppdev
modules. The lp module basically makes a device like /dev/lp0
available --- you can do things like echo "test" > /dev/lp0 with that,
but you're using USB.

Getting a message about gutenprint probably means that there's
something wrong with the so-called drivers, i. e. filters, that make
all the features of the printer available.

Do you have the gutenprint packages installed? You probably need to
start with the "cups-driver-gutenprint" package (it's part of the
distribution) and eventually install additional packages (also part of
Debian) that specifically support the printer you're using if the
support for it isn't already provided by "cups-driver-gutenprint".

See
http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_920C
--- they are saying it's working fine ...