Re: Debian Lenny amd64 hangs when loading parport module

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:17 PM, lee<lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 08:16:31AM -0500, Jose Perez wrote:

>> > What did the error message say?
>> >

>> Well, I'm using KDE in Spanish but trying to translate the message to
>> english it says something like this:
>>

>> "Impossible to load the required driver:
>>
>> Impossible to create the Foomatic driver
>> [HP-DeskJet_920C,gutentprint]. Or the the driver doesn't exist, or you
>> don't have the required permissions to execute this operation"
>>
>> Remember that I disabled the loading of lp and ppdev (and so parport)
>> modules editing the CUPS LSB script.
>
> Yes, but I think it doesn't have to do with the lp and ppdev
> modules. The lp module basically makes a device like /dev/lp0
> available --- you can do things like echo "test" > /dev/lp0 with that,
> but you're using USB.
>
> Getting a message about gutenprint probably means that there's
> something wrong with the so-called drivers, i. e. filters, that make
> all the features of the printer available.
>
> Do you have the gutenprint packages installed? You probably need to
> start with the "cups-driver-gutenprint" package (it's part of the
> distribution) and eventually install additional packages (also part of
> Debian) that specifically support the printer you're using if the
> support for it isn't already provided by "cups-driver-gutenprint".

Yes, probably I didn't install the *gutentprint* packages. I was a lot
confused about lp, ppdev and parport modules that I forgot to install
some extra packages required to print.

I'm going to install other dependencies and after trying I'll post
again the results.

Thanks