Re: Debian Lenny amd64 hangs when loading parport module

Jose Perez wrote:
Hi all:

I recently bought a new PC like this:

Printer: HP Deskjet 920c (connected via USB cable)
Mainboard: MSI K9A2 Neo2 (This mainboard doesn't have a parallel port)
Processor: AMD Phenom X4
RAM: 8 GB
OS: Debian Lenny 5.0.2 amd64

After installing some base packages I installed cups and when it tried
to start CUPS daemon it hanged the whole system. I started to search
for the source of the problem and I found that when CUPS daemons start
it loads lp and parport modules (the later as a dependency of lp).

Everytime I try to load parport module the system hangs inmediately.
It happens the same when trying to load any module that depends of
parport. I'm not really sure if parport is it mandatory to start cups
but the LSB script tries to load lp and ppdev.

I tried to see log messages but I just found this at /var/log/messages
after loading lp module:

Jul 22 15:15:17 angel kernel: [  455.780000] lp: driver loaded but no
devices found
Jul 22 15:15:17 angel kernel: [  455.804449] ppdev: user-space
parallel port driver

I can't see any segmentation fault nor kernel panic nor anything like
that, it seems that everything is OK but the system is freezed.

Does anybody here had a similar experience before? Could someone give
an idea to solve this issue? I don't know what to do 'cause I don't
even use a parallel port, I use USB port :(

Thanks

Have you loaded the USB modules for printing?

I switched motherboards and the new MB has no parallel port so I use a USB to parallel converter. I had to load the usblp module to get printing to work.

modinfo usblp
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.30-1-amd64/kernel/drivers/usb/class/usblp.ko
license:        GPL
author: Michael Gee, Pavel Machek, Vojtech Pavlik, Randy Dunlap, Pete Zaitcev, David Paschal
alias:          usb:v04B8p0202d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic07isc01ip03*
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic07isc01ip02*
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic07isc01ip01*
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc07dsc01dp03ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc07dsc01dp02ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc07dsc01dp01ic*isc*ip*
depends:
vermagic:       2.6.30-1-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions
parm:           proto_bias:Favourite protocol number (int)

HTH

Wayne