[SOLVED] Re: Query on IP connections & security

AG wrote:
I was going through the hardinfo application and when I got to "IP connections" I noticed the following connections have the "Established" status using TCP and both on port 443 (SSL and HTTPS).

One of these connections is to 71.62.0.176 (which doesn't seem to have a listing in the whois database that means anything) and 88.169.124.190 which points to http://www.proxad.net according to whois

What applications could I have on my machine that would establish tcp connections with either of these using ssl/https?

Also, although I was under the impression that the portmap service was not enabled at boot up, it would appear that it is running in the background. I recall that portmap used to be a security risk, but is this still the case and should I be concerned?

Thanks

AG

Through a process of elimination I have established that these are both TOR nodes, which jibes with my set up. I'm standing down the National Guard :)

Any comments tho' on portmapper?

AG