Re: MTA experts: address rewriting depending on next hop

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 23:04 -0600, lee wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:32:43AM +0200, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
> > Look at the Received: headers in my mails, afaict winnegan.fake is no
> > valid domain outside my lan and using outside  would provoke harsh
> > reactions.
>
> Look at my headers: who cares? Unless you're an ISP or MSP or run the
> servers for a company, nobody is going to mind.

That's wrong, as with HTTP and other text based protocols relying on
headers not normally visible to the user, you're spreading quite a lot
of information and there are interested parties like google that run a
business analyzing this info.

> To actually run a mail server to send *and* receive mail, you need a
> static IP.

Thats wrong too, you need at least 1 (preferrably 2) MX records naming
hosts with A or AAAA records, whether static or dynamic IP doesn't
matter the MX MTAs willing to relay your domain and you need an ISP
that doesn't block port 25.

The last 2 conditions can be dealt with when - as in my case - you are
allowed to configure the MTA at your primary MX (which must have an
open smtp port), look at the (obfuscated) header generated by the
incoming MTA on my LAN:

        by $FQDN_FOR_DYNIP:$PORT (Postfix) with ESMTP id A66A88949B
        for <debian@psycho.i21k.de>; Fri, 24 Jul 2009 07:04:31 +0200 (CEST)

$FQDN_FOR_DYNIP has a dynamic IP address and a very short living A
Record.

Well, this was my last post in this thread, I'll grant you the final
word if you care, maybe you can prove that Exim's FAQ 805 or 807 iirc
the link is on d-d - is wrong.  I'm not inclined to discuss this
subject any further on d-u as I've decided on a reliable solution the
day before yesterday.

Thanks
  Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de