[Semi-OT] Need advice on AMD mobo

Just got an ASRock A780GXE/128M, and it seems to have difficulty seeing more
than 4 devices.  (I've got 4 SATA HDDs, a SATA DVD-RW and a PATA HDD.)

Here are my needs:
- AM2 socket
- ATX form factor,
- 6 (or even 8) SATA sockets,
- 4 DIMM slots.

On-board 1394 would be useful.

The A780GXE has all those features, but apparently doesn't implement them well.
Just in order to get it to boot from CD-ROM (I'm now running from an Ubuntu 9.04
Live CD), I had to disconnect the lone PATA drive.

I'd break down and get an AM2+ CPU if the mobo were *great* and didn't support
AM2.

Also, I'm running Sid with 2.6.30, so "modern" doesn't scare me.

Thanks