Re: Recommended Audio CD player?

On 2009-07-15, AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Nothing is muted - have double-checked and checked again - and as
> mentioned Rhythmbox picks up the drive okay ... just nothing else seems to.
>
> Tried to do what you suggested and even when directing it to the drive I
> either get the response that it is not a directory or that the file
> doesn't exist.
>
> I've gone through dmesg and the drive is definitely registered at boot
> up as /dev/sr0 but nothing touches it for audio CDs, except R'Box.  It
> is really frustrating because it seems contradictory: KsCD can read the
> tracks but won't play the disc, Goobox claims its an invalid drive even
> when directed to it on the command line.

I don't know if it's related, but i have similar problems with CD
devices on Debian-sparc with kernel 2.6.29. Eject is unable to open
the device unless there is a CD in the drive. I can mount a data CD
and read it, and play an audio CD in the drive with cdcd.

All I get with wodim is "Cannot open SCSI driver!". This behaviour
is the same for internal IDE or external scsi/usb CD drives. I see
a block device 22:0 something or other error during boot.

I don't have these problems using the old kernal, 2.6.26. I haven't
investigated.

Regards,

Howard E.