[NOT SOLVED, BUT PROGRESS] Failure to boot after failed resume from s2something

On (14/07/09 15:09), John wrote:
| I've a puzzling failure to boot.  Error messages have to be copied
| over by hand, so apologies if there are typos. The boot process seems
| normal past cryptsetup's request for the password. The first sign of
| trouble reads
| mount: mounting /dev/mapper/[name of my swap partition] on /root failed: no such device
|
| Next, initramfs appears to run /scripts/local-top and
| /scripts/local-premount successfully. Maybe. Kinit goes for a
| normal boot after pondering manual.  Then comes
| Begin: running /scripts/init-bottom
| mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory.
|
| There are similar failures re. sys and /proc. Also the message:
| Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
|
| At this point, I am dumped into busybox:
| (initramfs)
| but I haven't managed to figure out what to fix or how to fix it.
|
| The problem first appeared when trying to resume from s2ram (or was it
| s2both?) under a home-compiled vanilla 2.6.30.1 kernel. Purging and
| reinstalling that kernel did not change the problem. A home-compiled
| kernel from 2.6.29-4 vanilla sources has worked fine throughout. I
| tried another kernel, compiled from the basic config-2.6.29-4 that
| works, but from Debian 2.6.30-2 sources, and it fails in exactly the
| same way.
|
| Googling the error messages has not produced anything I could
| figure out. I'm stumped. Clues will be gratefully accepted.

(Responding to my own post)

I've partly figured out the problem. It is caused by trying to boot a
different kernel from the one under which s2disk or hibernate (not
sure which) was invoked. Before I ran across the obscure warning
against trying this, I had purged the offending kernel. Worse, the
problem is passed along to new initrd.img files every time
update-initramfs is called. So I ended up with three borked kernels,
none of which booted. Luckily, I was able to mv initrd.img-(uname
-r).bak into place, else my machine would have been bricked.

So my questions are:

1) How does one get rid of an old s2disk/hibernate setting that
demands to run "PM: Starting manual resume from disk"?
2) Can update-initramfs be instructed to ignore that old setting?
3) Ideally, can this problem be addressed from within the busybox:
(initramfs)
into which one is dumped when trying to do it the wrong way/

Until one of these questions is answered, it seems to be impossible to
install any new kernel.

SO BE WARNED: If you save to disk or hibernate, DON'T try to resume
from a different kernel.

BTW: Mightn't there be a more prominent warning against this mistake?

--
JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com
GPG key 1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05