Re: X11 without HAL: "DontZap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore

In <[🔎] 4A5F556B.8090408@gmx.net>, Dirk wrote:
>Jeff Soules wrote:
>>> HAL is not "technology moving forward".
>>>
>>> It is a project dedicated to taking away the right to do what you want.
>>
>> I'm sorry, your argument is "HAL hates freedom?"  Seriously?  You
>> believe there is an entire team of malicious devs who've devoted their
>> weekends to oppressing your choice of mouse buttons?
>>
>It takes away my right to do what I want. And it does so because its
>installation is enforced per dependency.

HAL itself doesn't do that.  The package maintainers for the X.org package
in Debian do that.

I don't think that they "hate freedom", but rather that they may be making
the wrong decision for the right reasons.  (They would like Linux to be easy
AND flexible.)