Re: X11 without HAL: "DontZap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore

In <[🔎] 4A5F532A.8000403@gmx.net>, Dirk wrote:
>Jochen Schulz wrote:
>> Dirk:
>>> Ok, let us assume I wouldn't be able to remove HAL from a installed
>>> Debian without breaking X11 permanently and I have a random problem
>>> (pick one from this list:
>>> http://www.google.com/search?q=HAL+problem+linux).
>>
>> Previously, you said not only HAL itself is the problem, but the *idea*
>> behind it. I have no reason to doubt that HAL isn't necessarily the best
>> implementation of the idea but that doesn't mean the whole idea is bad.
>>
>>> So I turn here and ask how to solve the problem.
>>>
>>> The answers will very likely force(!) me(!)
>>
>> Nobody forces you to do anything. You can compile patch X.org yourself,
>> run oldstable, switch to another distribution or throw your computer out
>> of the window. Or you could just accept HAL and go on with your life.
>
>You suggest that everyone compiles X11 him-/herself now?

No, just those that refuse to accept the package maintainers' decisions.
That's always been true of every Debian package.

>How about that package maintainer just turns a dependency back into a
>recommendation to make /everyone/ happy? (Did I suggest that before?)

From what I understand, X will run fine without HAL.  In that case, I agree
with you.  Depends is for packages that are *technically* *required* to run;
Recommends is for packages that add additional features (including advanced
configuration or automation).

"Depends" is *NOT* meant for "strong" recommendations.  The package
maintainer(s) is(are) in the wrong, but they are still the maintainer.  I
don't have the resources to maintain X.org packages for Debian, so I accept
what is given for the cost I can bear.  I would be willing to test X.org
packages that don't Depend on HAL if someone is putting forth the resources
to maintain them.

If someone it willing to put forth the resources, but they don't have the
technical skill or time, they can buy both from me.  PM me for rates.