Re: PowerBook 12"

> I would like to install Ubuntu 9.04 PowerPC on my PowerBook 12" with no
> working CD drive.  I have copied the 4 files into the root  directory (just
> the top level of my Macintosh HD, right)?  I also  extract the .iso file and
> copy its contents into my root directory  (otherwise, yaboot launches and
> says "unknown or corrupt  filesystem").   From OpenFirmware, into yaboot,
> the "install" command  does nothing, so I type "live" in, which initializes
> an installer,  which restarts the computer, at which point on the top of the
> screen  there is a dash-like cursor, and it just freezes there.  Then I have
> to restart.

I have done pretty much this exact install a few months ago (a year,
maybe?), but using Debian rather than Ubuntu.

The only other difference is that I had 2 volumes (one HFS+ with Mac OS
X and an HFS basically empty in which I placed the yaboot and .iso
files and when I later used as the special yaboot partition).

So, I'd recommend you try Debian instead.  It installed very smoothly.

        Stefan