Re: PowerBook 12"

On Jul 15, 2009, at 7:32 AM, MAD wrote:

I would really like to start using Linux - I have it already as a VM on my Intel Mac Book Pro, and I think it will make my 12" PowerBook very useful. Is there anything someone from your Debian group could tell me to help? Thanks a lot.
Mark

Hi Mark,

Your PowerBook won't boot from a USB device, so you can ignore all the people telling you about ways that they have installed Debian on i386 laptops using USB sticks. That's the bad news.

The good news is that it will boot from a FireWire CD/DVD drive. They can be purchased for as little as $80 from CDW (not the cheapest place to buy parts, but they have a good selection) Here's the URL

	http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1130398

A cheaper option would be to check out your local Apple Users Group or Linux Users Group and ask if somebody there can loan you a FireWire DVD/CD drive.

Depending on the bandwidth of your access to Internet, you can download a small (60 MB) CD image (called "businesscard") or a full (700 MB) CD, or a full (4.7 GB) DVD install iso image from

	http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current/powerpc/

You'll need access to a CD/DVD burner. If you buy a FireWire drive, like the one referenced above, that will do the job -- otherwise you can probably get somebody at the local Users Group to help you out.

Don't hesitate to ask questions if you run into problems... The Debian-PowerPC list (debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org) has some friendly folks who are pretty knowledgeable. You can sign up for the list, and search the archives, at

	http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/

Enjoy!

Rick