Re: Recommended Audio CD player?

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:54:48PM EDT, AG wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:

>> You want the cdtool package, per "apt-cache show", size = 62122 (lenny).
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Seriously I'd be curious to know whether it supports your SATA drive.

> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I downloaded and installed cdtool and ran cdplay [01] which yielded
>
> cdplay: ioctl subchnl: unknown status: subchnl=0xa

I suspected something like this would happen :-(

> I had wanted to use a GUI rather than a CLI tool, but am happy to try
> this out as a test of the drive itself.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

I'm currently playing with an all-in-one media solution called
"freevo" - 131 GB on my HD .. and so far I'm rather impressed. It's
really more something that was designed to run on its own dedicated
machine, with TV card et al. but still, it does a very nice job of
playing my local videos and mp3's as well as TV & radio streaming.

Via plugins, it can even do RSS or display the local weather forecast.

One thing that I find very appealing is that it's a lazy man's paradise
because it does away with the complexities of the GUI model: simple
on-screen menus that you navigate via the up/down arrow keys give you
access to everything.

On an already customized machine I run it in its own X session separate
from my work environment and switch back & forth via CTRL+ALT+Fx's.

Don't know if your CD drive is supported, but if you have disk space to
spare and a reasonably fast internet connection for the download, it's
really worth taking a look.

The price to pay for the delightfully simple user interface is that
pretty much everything beyond the simplest options has to be set up via
configuration files.

CJ