Re: How do I provide a particular process with as much CPU time as possible?

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 09:17:59AM +0200, Wim De Smet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 4:54 AM, lee<lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > BTW, I've given up attaching the game to a particular CPU and trying
> > to mess with the priority/scheduling. That doesn't seem to make it
> > faster, but more unresponsive to keyboard inputs. I guess LGP just
> > needs to fix the game. The Windoze version apparently runs great on
> > hardware like I have.
>
> Are you sure your 3D rendering is set up properly?

Yes --- it's working fine with other games.

> I'm not sure how LGP packages their games but if they're using wine
> that might explain a performance difference as well.

They are making ports; I don't think they have any games that use
wine. I was even thinking that the windoze version under wine might
run better than the Linux version, if it does at all.

I do understand that this particular game can take a great deal of
processing power for the simulation it does, i. e. controlling a lot
of objects that are part of a simulated economy, but it's just too
slow to play it. Since the windoze version seems to run fine, there
must either be a problem with the port, a problem with running 32bit
software on a 64bit system or a problem with my particular hard- and
software. It's probably more than an Intel E8400 not being fast and
being especially slow in executing 32bit code. I even started
overclocking and got it to 3.46GHz; I've never tried that before ---
but I've always had AMD before.

Well, is anyone here playing (trying to play ...) "X3: Reunion"? I
can't be the only one :)