Re: How do I provide a particular process with as much CPU time as possible?

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 07:38 +0000, Joel Roth wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:14:31PM -0600, lee wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > simple question:
> >
> > How do I provide a particular process with as much CPU time as
> > possible?
> [snip]
> > I only want that game I'm playing to run faster.

0. Install as much physical memory as fits in your machine
   and you can afford.

Don't
> 1. Start the program using 'nice':
>
> 	nice -20 command

Sorry that's mildly spoken wrong.  A normal user can only reduce
his share of CPU time using nice and you don't want to propose
running a game as root I hope.

> 2. Don't run other CPU-intensive processes

Correct

3. Try this only own your own machine while no important jobs
   are running

   sudo renice -4 -p GAMES_PROCESS_ID

   or if the game spawns subprocesses

   sudo renice -4 -g GAMES_PROCESS_GROUP_ID

and try not to shoot yourself in your foot by locking out
kernel processes.

HTH
  Siggy
--
Please don't cc: me when replying on the list.
    bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de