Re: KDE compression options: tar, zip, or rar

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 12:58:46AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 05:53:12PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Test what? I know not enough about them to know what to test. I would
> > have never learned about the data integrity issue by my own testing,
> > nor about file permissions because I would not even think about that.
> > That is why I asked the experienced people here.
>
> * Prep test data (some file to be packed)
> * run command under "time" command
>
> $ time tar -czf testout.tar.gz ./test-data
>
> real    0m0.520s
> user    0m0.480s
> sys     0m0.040s
>
> $ time zip -rq testout.zip ./test-data
>
> real    0m0.474s
> user    0m0.460s
> sys     0m0.016s
>
> Simple! Do this with uncompress too.

It's not that simple, as you have shown: The difference in the time it
took to compress your test data is insignificant and can have been
caused by other system activities.

Anyway, he's well advised to ask and to seek information since he
didn't know what to look for. You can set up your own tests only for
things you already know enough about to create such tests, and he is
aware of this problem. That's why he's asking. That's what asking is
for.