Re: E7400 - i386 and AMD64

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 03:15:27PM -0300, Pablo Armando wrote:

> Should we use Debian amd64 here o i386? Why we see 4 CPU's when we only have
> 2 CPUs (Intel Core 2 Duo)? Is stable amd64 or it is not recommended for a
> server setup?

You'll want to use amd64, it's stable. Even before there was a stable
version, I've been running it on a server with dual Opterons and have
never had a problem with it. Besides, I have an E8400, and that CPU
seems to be particularly slow in 32bit mode and when running a piece
of 32bit software in the amd64 environment. I am somewhat disappointed
with the performance, even overclocked to 3.46GHz.

Did you use any weird kernel settings when you made the kernel for
your server? Did you try an older (like 2.6.24) or a newer kernel?

I think you should see only 2 CPUs, as you have 2. But I had always
set the max. number of CPUs to 2 for my kernels, so I wouldn't see any
more than 2 anyway. Maybe I should increase the limit and see what
happens. Maybe I get some CPUs for free ;)