Re: KDE compression options: tar, zip, or rar

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:12:56AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/7/10 Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>:
> > On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:24:19AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> KDE gives users three options to compress folders: tar, zip, and rar.
> >> What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? How do I know which
> >> one to use?
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch10.en.html#_archive_and_compression_tools
> >

> There is no discussion of the relative merits and problems with those
> tools, only the fact that they exist.

If you read carefully, there are relative merits such as "higher
compression ratio than gzip(1) (slower than gzip with similar syntax)",
"higher compression and decompression speed than gzip", ...

I did benchmark them for myself before writing these.

"Which is better ..." question is useless unless you test these on your
needs.  "which is more use" is something which you can ask other people.

> Thank you, Osamu, but I cannot find a good comparison of the tools
> directed for the Linux end user. The problem is that until I wrote
> this question, I did nit even know which features the different
> systems have!

Then install them and test then yourself.  It costs nothing.

Osamu