Re: KDE compression options: tar, zip, or rar

2009/7/10 Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:24:19AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> KDE gives users three options to compress folders: tar, zip, and rar.
>> What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? How do I know which
>> one to use?
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch10.en.html#_archive_and_compression_tools

There is no discussion of the relative merits and problems with those
tools, only the fact that they exist.

> tar (w/ gzip or bzip2) --> unix        free
> zip                    --> dos/windows free
> rar                    --> windows     non-free
>
> Please read technicals wikipedia etc.

Thank you, Osamu, but I cannot find a good comparison of the tools
directed for the Linux end user. The problem is that until I wrote
this question, I did nit even know which features the different
systems have!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com