Re: Best Video Editor?

>Thomas H. George wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 02:32:38PM +0100, thveillon.debian wrote:
>>> Thomas H. George wrote:
>>> A year ago I did a little video editing using cinelerra.  When I tried
>>> again yesterday it wasn't working properly, running about a single frame
>>> per second.
>>>
>>> I checked the web site but saw no reference to a users group.  My memory
>>> is that when I used it previously a fork was developing to an alternate
>>> version.  If so, I found no reference to it now.
>>>
>>> My system now is Lenny with an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor.  The
>>> last time I used cinelerra it was with a 32 bit processor.
>>>
>>> Is the 32 to 64 bit shift the problem with cinelerra?  Is there a better
>>> choice for a video editor?
>>>

>> Hello Thomas,

[...]
> Cinelerra is certainly adequate for my current needs if I can get it to
> work correctly.  Everything seems to work OK except that it runs at
> about one frame per second.  I downloaded a demo file, Burning Coals,
> from the Cinelerra web site and it too ran at about one frame per
> second.

Don't get mad over Cinelerra poor performances, following your messages
I reinstalled it from debian-multimedia (testing in my case), and it
seems utterly broken at the time. It crashed on me a couple of times
(well, that's not unusual in my experience), and trying to work with
anything resembling to HD video results in 100% cpu usage just for video
playback, regular freezes, monstrous lag, and a whole bunch of errors
from Cinelerra internal libquicktimehv (of course on the same system
Blender works fine with the same file)... I'll try to dig in the bug
reports, the preferences and maybe try to compile another version over
the week-end, but it seems that shifting to Blender a while ago was a
sound move.

Tom