Re: Best Video Editor?

Thomas H. George wrote:
> A year ago I did a little video editing using cinelerra.  When I tried
> again yesterday it wasn't working properly, running about a single frame
> per second.
>
> I checked the web site but saw no reference to a users group.  My memory
> is that when I used it previously a fork was developing to an alternate
> version.  If so, I found no reference to it now.
>
> My system now is Lenny with an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor.  The
> last time I used cinelerra it was with a 32 bit processor.
>
> Is the 32 to 64 bit shift the problem with cinelerra?  Is there a better
> choice for a video editor?

Hello Thomas,

how did you get your Cinelerra, mine comes from debian-multimedia and
works as fine as Cinelerra can (Cinelerra has never been a model of
stability for me...) on my amd64 Debian Squeeze system.

I don't know what "fork" you are talking about, the program available at
debian-multimedia is the so-called "community version", as opposed to
plain Cinelerra from HeroïnVirtual. In my experience the "community
version" has always been far less buggy than the original product.

There is a totally new software being developed by the same people
behind the Cinelerra "community edition" called "Lumiera", but it's not
yet usable. http://lumiera.org/

Depending on your needs, there's a whole range of alternatives for
non-linear video editing, like OpenMovieEditor, Kdenlive, Kino, pitivi
(don't know if it's usable now), Avidemux, Lives, EKD... For heavy work
on HD videos I rely on Blender, it has a steep learning curve due to the
original user interface, but once mastered the program is rock solid,
which gives it a great lead over Cinelerra in my opinion.

Try them, but do give Blender some time before giving up on the user
interface, it is well worth the effort.

To get you started :

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2008/04/20/video-editing-with-blender/

http://www.blender.org/documentation/htmlII/x3184.html