Re: Best Video Editor?

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 02:32:38PM +0100, thveillon.debian wrote:
> Thomas H. George wrote:
> > A year ago I did a little video editing using cinelerra.  When I tried
> > again yesterday it wasn't working properly, running about a single frame
> > per second.
> >
> > I checked the web site but saw no reference to a users group.  My memory
> > is that when I used it previously a fork was developing to an alternate
> > version.  If so, I found no reference to it now.
> >
> > My system now is Lenny with an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor.  The
> > last time I used cinelerra it was with a 32 bit processor.
> >
> > Is the 32 to 64 bit shift the problem with cinelerra?  Is there a better
> > choice for a video editor?
> >

> Hello Thomas,
>
> how did you get your Cinelerra, mine comes from debian-multimedia and
> works as fine as Cinelerra can (Cinelerra has never been a model of
> stability for me...) on my amd64 Debian Squeeze system.

I also got mine from debian-multimedia.

> I don't know what "fork" you are talking about, the program available at
> debian-multimedia is the so-called "community version", as opposed to
> plain Cinelerra from HeroïnVirtual. In my experience the "community
> version" has always been far less buggy than the original product.
>
> There is a totally new software being developed by the same people
> behind the Cinelerra "community edition" called "Lumiera", but it's not
> yet usable. http://lumiera.org/

Lumiera sounds familiar.  I believe there were posts about it when I
last used Cinelerra.

Cinelerra is certainly adequate for my current needs if I can get it to
work correctly.  Everything seems to work OK except that it runs at
about one frame per second.  I downloaded a demo file, Burning Coals,
from the Cinelerra web site and it too ran at about one frame per
second.

> Depending on your needs, there's a whole range of alternatives for
> non-linear video editing, like OpenMovieEditor, Kdenlive, Kino, pitivi
> (don't know if it's usable now), Avidemux, Lives, EKD... For heavy work
> on HD videos I rely on Blender, it has a steep learning curve due to the
> original user interface, but once mastered the program is rock solid,
> which gives it a great lead over Cinelerra in my opinion.
>
> Try them, but do give Blender some time before giving up on the user
> interface, it is well worth the effort.
>
> To get you started :
>
> http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2008/04/20/video-editing-with-blender/
>
> http://www.blender.org/documentation/htmlII/x3184.html

Thanks for these links.  I have read about Blender and will get to it
after I have mastered the elementary stuff.

Tom