Best Video Editor?

A year ago I did a little video editing using cinelerra.  When I tried
again yesterday it wasn't working properly, running about a single frame
per second.

I checked the web site but saw no reference to a users group.  My memory
is that when I used it previously a fork was developing to an alternate
version.  If so, I found no reference to it now.

My system now is Lenny with an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor.  The
last time I used cinelerra it was with a 32 bit processor.

Is the 32 to 64 bit shift the problem with cinelerra?  Is there a better
choice for a video editor?