Re: Wireless networking help - can't find AP

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 09:42:13PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Joel Roth wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a Toshiba Satellite L305 series laptop running sid
>> with a recent, stock kernel:  Linux version 2.6.26-1-686
>> (Debian 2.6.26-10).
>>
>> I am seeking to connect to a D-Link 614+ wireless router.
>> For initial testing, the AP is unencrypted, unsecured.
>>
>> My wife's G3 i-Book with AfterTheMac USB wireless adapter
>> connected just fine, on the first try.
>>
>> I'd appreciate some help troubleshooting my Linux
>> wireless connection.
>>
>> I believe I have the modules I should have:
>>
>> $ lsmod | grep 80211
>> mac80211              139680  1 ath5k
>> cfg80211               21576  2 ath5k,mac80211
>>
>> My wireless network interface is present:
>>
>> $ iwconfig wlan0
>>
>> wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:""            Mode:Managed
>> Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
>> Tx-Power=0 dBm             Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment
>> thr=2352 B             Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>>
>> However, I don't find the D-Link 614+:
>>
>> $ iwlist wlan0 scan
>>
>> wlan0     No scan results
>>
>> And of course, dhclient fails to find a server.
>>
>> Am I missing something? What could I try next?
>
> It would help if you tell us what the Asus is using
> as the wireless adapter, and what the /etc/network/interfaces file
> looks like.

lspci | grep Atheros

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
#auto wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp

I tried disabling eth0 and enabling the wlan0 lines
and /etc/init.d/networking restart.

However I think that isn't any better than manually

	ifconfig wlan0 up; dhclient

which doesn't help either.

I've found something else now: the madwifi drivers appear to
work for this:

http://billy.com.mx/2009/05/12/atheros-ar242x-wifi-on-debian-sid/

I'll post to the list if/when I get this working.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Joel