Wireless networking help - can't find AP

Hello all,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L305 series laptop running sid
with a recent, stock kernel:  Linux version 2.6.26-1-686
(Debian 2.6.26-10).

I am seeking to connect to a D-Link 614+ wireless router.
For initial testing, the AP is unencrypted, unsecured.

My wife's G3 i-Book with AfterTheMac USB wireless adapter
connected just fine, on the first try.

I'd appreciate some help troubleshooting my Linux
wireless connection.

I believe I have the modules I should have:

$ lsmod | grep 80211
mac80211              139680  1 ath5k
cfg80211               21576  2 ath5k,mac80211

My wireless network interface is present:

$ iwconfig wlan0

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:""
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Tx-Power=0 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

However, I don't find the D-Link 614+:

$ iwlist wlan0 scan

wlan0     No scan results

And of course, dhclient fails to find a server.

Am I missing something? What could I try next?
I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks.

--
Joel Roth