Re: Wireless networking help - can't find AP

Joel Roth wrote:
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 09:42:13PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
Joel Roth wrote:
Hello all,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L305 series laptop running sid
with a recent, stock kernel:  Linux version 2.6.26-1-686
(Debian 2.6.26-10).

I am seeking to connect to a D-Link 614+ wireless router.
For initial testing, the AP is unencrypted, unsecured.

My wife's G3 i-Book with AfterTheMac USB wireless adapter
connected just fine, on the first try.

I'd appreciate some help troubleshooting my Linux
wireless connection.

I believe I have the modules I should have:

$ lsmod | grep 80211
mac80211              139680  1 ath5k
cfg80211               21576  2 ath5k,mac80211

My wireless network interface is present:

$ iwconfig wlan0

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

However, I don't find the D-Link 614+:

$ iwlist wlan0 scan

wlan0     No scan results

And of course, dhclient fails to find a server.

Am I missing something? What could I try next?
It would help if you tell us what the Asus is using
as the wireless adapter, and what the /etc/network/interfaces file
looks like.

lspci | grep Atheros

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
auto eth0 iface eth0 inet dhcp
#auto wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp

I tried disabling eth0 and enabling the wlan0 lines
and /etc/init.d/networking restart.

However I think that isn't any better than manually

	ifconfig wlan0 up; dhclient

which doesn't help either.

I've found something else now: the madwifi drivers appear to
work for this:

http://billy.com.mx/2009/05/12/atheros-ar242x-wifi-on-debian-sid/

I'll post to the list if/when I get this working.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Joel

Ok, You are using the new interface and I am using the old one. The setup of /etc/network/interfaces may have changed so yours may be correct. Below is what I have used for a few years but it may be obsolete now.

I suggest you go to the madwifi site <http://www.madwifi.org> and read up on everything there. They have complete instructions on the new interface.

In the old version there are two interfaces created, wlan0 and ath0.
The ath0 interface is the one that is used, not the wlan0. I am not aware if that has changed in the new version.

ie:

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp

pre-up wlanconfig ath0 destroy
pre-up wlanconfig ath0 create wifi0 wlanmode sta
pre-up ifconfig ath0 mtu 1492
pre-up iwconfig ath0 mode Managed
post-down wlanconfig ath0 destroy

Hope this helps.