Re: Wireless networking help - can't find AP

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:08:17PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 01:23:39 +0000
> Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:

> > My wireless network interface is present:
> >
> > $ iwconfig wlan0
> >
> > wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:""
> >           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
> >           Tx-Power=0 dBm
> >           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
> >           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
> >           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
> >           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
> >
> > However, I don't find the D-Link 614+:
> >
> > $ iwlist wlan0 scan
> >
> > wlan0     No scan results
> >
> > And of course, dhclient fails to find a server.
>
> a) Scanning may not work if the interface is administratively 'down'.
> Try 'ifconfig wlan0 up' and then scanning.

Tried and failed: no scan results. (I made sure  wlan0 was
up before, too.)

> b) What happens if you just go ahead and set the essid manually:
> 'iwconfig wlan0 essid your-essid' and then 'iwconfig wlan0' to see if
> it associates?

Tried, but it does not associate.

I also tried setting the channel number. No change, and iwconfig doesn't
show the setting.

I also looked in the BIOS for a wireless enable/disable
setting, but no such menu item is present.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Joel

--
Joel Roth