Re: Debian 5.0.2 network manager not working?

Thanks to the advice given so far.  A hard drive wipe and fresh install put all the menu items back in their place, including Network Manager.  After installing the firmware for my wifi card (Broadcom BCM4306 rev 02) roaming mode doesn't work nor can I force it to connect to my home network.  I had it working before in 5.0.1 without any fancy tweaks, does anyone have any thoughts?  Is wicd more widely used?  I've edited my /etc/network/interfaces file according to http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse but had no luck bringing the wireless signal to be active even after using "ifup" command.

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
   wpa-ssid mynetworkname
   wpa-psk mysecretpassphrase