Debian 5.0.2 network manager not working?

I've been installing Debian 5.0.1 via a downloaded jigdo DVD image from the official site.  This morning did a fresh laptop install and noticed it used 795 files total versus 809 last week when I did a few trial installations on the same machine with the same hardware.  One of the packages missing after booting into Gnome was Network Manager - previously was included in the base installation but this time I had to manually install the package.  I also noticed several fewer items in the System->Administration menu, notably things like Software Sources was gone.

Anyone else notice this or did my installation just hiccup?  I've checked the debian.org page and didn't see any notes about these changes.  I'm currently DBAN'ing the hard drive preparing for another fresh installation but wanted to check first in case it's not specific to my machine.

Thanks!
Mark