/lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.8' not found

Ok, next question...
My original reason for upgrading from etch to lenny was because a
tool (cross compiler) I'm using complained because it needed
GLIBC_2.4, and apparently etch only went up to GLIBC_2.3.8.

Now I've updated to Lenny, and the tool no longer complains about
GLIBC_2.4.  That's the good news, now a different part of the tool
says it needs GLIBC_2.8.  Is there a way to upgrade Lenny to GLIBC_2.8?

I ran "apt-get install libc6", but that claims I have the newest version
already.

Ed