Re: Debian 5.0.2 network manager not working?

I'm still confused as to why certain menu items disappeared when going
from 5.0.1 to 5.0.2 via a fresh installation.  I should mention that I
chose to use the debian ftp repository during installation so the
newest packages and updates were installed.  Certain menus were
significantly truncated while others were untouched (Games, Office for
example); the System->Administration menu shrunk to about half of the
size it was with 5.0.1 (meaning about half of the items in the
drop-down menu were missing such as "Software Sources", etc.).

Any insight as to why some packages were not installed by default?
I'm aware that wicd can be used for networking, but am stumped why no
default networking manager (generic name, not specific to nm-applet)
was installed.  After a fresh installation there was no way to connect
to a wireless network until installing additional packages, which
seems odd since I installed the "laptop" plus "desktop environment"
during installation.  Even then nm-applet didn't appear to work well
with 5.0.2 compared to 5.0.1.  I know there was a keyring issue upon
login with nm-applet and 5.0.1 when using WPA so was it removed from
5.0.2 because of that?

I'm still learning Debian so if I'm missing something, please let me
know as I'm here to learn.

Thanks!
Mark