Re: Unicode font recommendations in a terminal.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 03:52:06AM EDT, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun,28.Jun.09, 00:43:58, Chris Jones wrote:
> > Wondering if anyone has some multilingual experience with terminal-based
> > applications such as mutt for mail, text-mode browsers - ELinks here...
> > irc clients, etc. and would be able to provide some advice.
> >
> > How should I set up my terminal - xterm - and what might be a good
> > unicode fixed font that could make the experience more true to life?
>
> Though I don't use very special characters, I noticed that rxvt-unicode
> will display just about anything (and in Debian you do come across
> various scripts). AFAIU from the docs it dynamically loads the correct
> font if the default one (I use Terminus) won't be enough.

Very interesting. The description of the rxvt-unicode package indeed
states that: "It supports using multiple fonts at the same time,
including Xft fonts [..]".

Any clues how it does this..? I mean, does it look for the usual
suspects in the usual locations, or is there a way to specify your
fallback fonts? It does depend on libfontconfig, which since I want to
stick with terminus for most regular stuff would be pretty much what I
vaguely was hoping for.

Seems like I need to take a look at rxvt and doc.

Thanks!

CJ