Unicode recommendations in a terminal - Please advise.

Wondering if anyone has some multilingual experience with terminal-based
applications such as mutt for mail, text-mode browsers - ELinks here...
irc clients, etc. and would be able to provide some advice.

How should I set up my terminal - xterm - and what might be a good
unicode fixed font that could make the experience more true to life?

On top of English etc., the "Terminus" font that I currently use appears
to render Cyrillic and Greek satisfactorily at least in mutt.

Unfortunately it doesn't have the glyphs for much anything else.

I tried the Deja Vu Sans Mono, and it has significantly more, mostly in
the area of "symbols" - stuff like Wingdings, mostly.

Not much good if you are trying to view English text with some embedded
Chinese for instance.

Another thing is that I would like to be able to display all the glyphs
of a given font so I can tell at a glance what scripts are covered.

xfd from the x11-utils package is fine, but it does not appear to
support Truetype fonts.

fontmatrix does it, but I would prefer something smaller.

Before I try to write my own, I was wondering if s/o knew of a simple
text-mode utility that just displays the glyphs as a matrix on the
terminal..?

Thanks,

CJ