[SOLVED] Re: CUPS Problem: "Unable to start filter "pdftoraster" - Success."

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:58:53 +0100, AG wrote:

[...]

Well - I'll be a monkey's uncle:  I rebooted today and miraculously
the printer is now working.  I thought this only happened in
Windows-World not under GNU/Linux where a reboot fixes a problem.  I
can imagine - I'd spend months hunting down a phantom problem when
all it takes is a reboot.

All you should have to do is restart processes that hang on to old
versions of libraries, configuration files, etc. (I seem to remember
that that was pointed out in the recent uptime thread.)

Yes, I recall. Sometimes for a relative newbie such as myself, it is a real devil of a job trying to track down exactly what the offending process might be.
So much for my thread on uptimes ... it actually seems that for a
relative Deb-noob like me, sometimes a reboot will clear out the
bugs and get one's system working again.

Run checkrestart (package "debian-goodies") after every upgrade or
installation procedure; it will tell you which services have to be
restarted. (For the present problem it may have been cups itself.)

That's a good tip - thanks. I could've sworn that I restarted the print server (i.e. /etc/init.d/cups restart), but evidently not. After searching on the web and finding the URL I referenced, I was convinced that I had uncovered a bug.

Anyway thanks (again) Florian. I will bear that tip in mind for any future upgrade/ installation.

All the best

AG