Re: Services / Runlevel editor

On Fri,26.Jun.09, 20:30:37, Allen Kenner wrote:

> In SUSE, I'd use YAST2 and open the Runlevel editor so I could set up
> what I wanted as far as running processes, and shut off servers I didn't
> need running. In Slackware I just didn't set up many by default and only
> started what I wanted, but on Debian, what are the tools available for this?

Maybe I don't understand exactly what you are trying to achieve, but it
seems to me like you want different "profiles" depending on what you
want your machine to be doing. The traditional unix mechanism for this
are the runlevels. It may not be obvious to you (coming from other
distros), but Debian does *not* customize the runlevels 2 to 5, they are
left for you (the system administrator) to configure as needed.

What I'd do is use a runlevel editor (I prefer sysv-rc-conf) and
customize the runlevels 2 to 5 to suit my different scenarios and then
just use 'init <new-runlevel>' to switch between them. If you only want
to start/stop one service at a time just use the initscript:

/etc/init.d/vsftpd stop

HTH,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)