Re: Uptimes - any guidance?

In <[🔎] beee84cb0906261432j60debb2bq68ae677bae8233c2@mail.gmail.com>, Victor
Padro wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith
>Jr.<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> Memory leaks within a userland processes to not affect the system beyond
>> the lifetime of that process.  Memory leaks within the kernel or a
>> module will require a reboot.
>How do you determine/detect a kernel memory leak?

I actually couldn't tell you.  I just *assume* my kernel isn't leaking
memory.  There are Linux-specific tools to extract the kernel memory map in
order to (e.g.) more accurately charge processes for shared memory, and you
could probably analyze that over time to find increasing amounts of pages
allocated to the kernel.

Assuming your system is under constant load, the resources needed by the
kernel may fluctuate but they should not steadily grow.