Re: Uptimes - any guidance?

AG wrote:
> I'm running Squeeze on a desktop and so far have an uptime of some 11d.
> I am just curious whether or not there is any guidance/ advice on how
> long uptimes should be allowed to be run, or whether it is wise to shut
> down and reboot?

It depends on what kind of machine it is for. If it is exposed to the
internet it is a good idea to reboot it for any kernel update. If it's
not connected to the internet, security updates are less of a concern
and in normal operation there no need to switch the machine off or to
reboot. FWIW, the uptime of one of my internal servers is about 500 days
and that's just because it moved to a new building at that time.

Cheers,
Johannes