Re: Uptimes - any guidance?

In <[🔎] 4A453534.4040209@gmail.com>, AG wrote:
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> It is a fairly sure way to release space claimed by "ghost" files back
>> to the file system and memory claimed by persistent shared memory pools
>> back to RAM/swap, but both of those can often be handled without a
>> reboot.
>
>And how does one do that?  Because that has been the sole reason (aside
>from a kernel upgrade) for me to reboot ... just to "refresh" the system.

"ghost" files can be detected by using lsof and the processes holding them
around stop/restarted.

IIRC, persistent shared memory on Linux is implemented using files in
/dev/shm.  Removing these files (and any "ghosts" left around) will clean
that up.  (Other OSes have specific commands for listing and deleting
persistent shared memory.)

I'd say not many programs need persistent shared memory.  Named shared
memory is usually enough, and that is automatically cleaned up by the kernel
once all the processes using it are stopped.

In other messages, zombie processes were mentioned.  These should be reaped
by their parent process.  If not, when their parent process dies they will
be re-parented, eventually leading them to being children of init.  At that
point, 'telinit u' as root should get rid of them.