Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

On Jun 24, 2009, at 2:07 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 01:43:35PM +0800, 明覺 wrote:

What about XML, YAML, HTML, javascript, and such? No more browser? No
more internet? :-)
Of course I will use all of them, I even use windows vista everyday
for playing games, that's my user role; for my programmer role, I will
use Xml and html, for they are data files, not programming languages,
I will try to write my own brower in C++, and use a subset of C++ to
be the dhtml programming language instead of javascript.

OK. I'll bite :) 15 years ago, I studied a couple of terms of evening
classes in programming in C.

One of the exercises thrown at us was: Build a reservation system for a
10 seat commuter aeroplane.

Small, simple, defined - but harder than it looks on paper. Go for it:
from your posts, you have the programming credentials.
Try the following exercise:

Build one in PHP / webforms (or Javascript) - "web languages", anyway.

Build one in pure Perl.

Build one in C or C++ writing to a MySQL/Postgres database.

Build one in C / C++ alone.

Build one in assembler.

Shouldn't take you long. That'll give you a much better feel for how/ why
different approaches have their strengths and weaknesses. It will mean
you're porting code that should be familiar and that you can read and
understand because you wrote it. Its a limited problem: the real world
is harder.

For extra credit, put it up on a website somewhere and submit the URL
back here for the code to be analysed by others here.

And, in terms of usability and compatibility, since one is done for a browser, meaning a web front end, then be sure to write the others so they use a GUI. Sure, do them first from the command line if you want, but then when you're done, make them all work with a GUI.

Come back when you're done. Then decide whether your ideas are feasible.

I think this is a major point Andrew makes. This is a simple program, but, as I've pointed out, your comments indicate almost no experience in many parts of the programming world. Just trying to do this simple program in the ways he's suggested requires skills that the OP's comments make it clear he has not yet attained.

Now if the OP had shown he's been there, done that, gone through all these kinds of experiences, I think many of us would take his comments MUCH more seriously.

Hal