Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

明覺 wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:18 PM, John Hasler<jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
>> 明覺 writes:
>>> yes, currently it's true, but I hope one day I will be able to take full
>>> control of my system, and modify them as i like, if I have those other
>>> language programmed softwares installed in my system, it will be hard to
>>> maintain for me.
>> If learning enough of another language to do maintainence is hard for you
>> you aren't much of a programmer.  Programming is not about knowing a
>> language.
> Yes, language is just a tool, so I want to keep my tool simple and
> powerful, I do not want so many similar tools with the same functions.

What you haven't learned is there are different languages FOR A REASON!
 No one language is "best" for everything.  For instance - I can code
web pages in C/C++ - but it is much faster for me to do it in PHP, Perl
or Java.  The same is true with anything else.

I've got over 40 years of programming experience; in that time I've
forgotten more languages than you have ever learned.  Some no longer
even exist.  But every one of them had certain advantages and
disadvantages - and those differences were a major reason why the
languages were chosen for their particular projects.

You don't like the way different languages handle strings - well, guess
what.  If they all did everything the same way, they wouldn't be
different languages!

To be blunt (like others) - so you don't like the fact different
languages are being used on your system.  There is no way you're going
to be able to rewrite all that code in C/C++ in your lifetime.

So you have two choices.  You can accept that fact and continue to
learn, using the tools available to you, no matter what language, just
like the rest of us do.

Or, you can continue to bitch about it and make yourself miserable.  In
this case, I suggest you try another profession - if you can't get over
this little bit, you are not suited to be a programmer.  This will just
be the first of many frustrations for you.

And one more thing - you can continue to bitch in this email list, but
if you do, it won't be long before people will stop responding to you -
for ANY post, even when you're asking for help.