Re: 'mktemp' testing package dependency

On 2009-06-16 21:44 +0200, Jason Filippou wrote:

> Over the last few days aptitude in my testing system detects an
> unsolved package dependency, concerning the package 'mktemp'. Here's
> the output of full-upgrade:
>
> jason@debian:~$ sudo aptitude full-upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> The following packages are BROKEN:
>   mktemp
> 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 13.9kB of archives. After unpacking 41.0kB will be freed.
>   mktemp: PreDepends: coreutils (>= 7.4-1) but 7.3-1 is installed.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Downgrade the following packages:
> mktemp [1.6-4 (now) -> 1.5-9 (stable)]
>
> Score is 80

I wonder why aptitude is suggesting this, downgrading mktemp would not
really help.

> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Upgrade the following packages:
> coreutils [7.3-1 (testing, now) -> 7.4-2 (unstable)]
>
> Score is 80

This one looks better.

> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
>
> *** No more solutions available ***
>
> I tried to find some information on packages.debian.org on mktemp but
> there wasn't any, so I can't decide on whether the package is
> important enough for me to consider upgrading coreutils to the
> unstable version (a risky move) or downgrade mktemp to the stable
> version. So I just wait until the dependency solves itself. Would
> anybody happen to know whether it would be safe to upgrade coreutils?
> Or just any information regarding mktemp?

The problem with mktemp is that it the /bin/mktemp binary is now
provided by coreutils in unstable, and there is a transitional package
built from the coreutils source.  So the mktemp source package got
removed from unstable, and because nothing depends on it, britney (the
script that is responsible for testing migration) removed it from
testing as well.

Of course, this was rather unfortunate because mktemp is an essential
package (that is why nothing depends on it) and arguably a bug in
britney, it should not consider removing essential packages.  The result
is that testing is hosed ATM, but there is no need to panic.  You can
either refrain from full-upgrades until coreutils migrates or upgrade
coreutils to 7.4-2 right away; AFAIK there are no new bugs, and it is
already ten days old.  In any case, you can remove the transitional
mktemp 7.4-2 package after the upgrade.

Sven