[Solved] Program for quoting text like in email?

> While it's not terribly good code, the attached perl script should do
> what you want.

I chmodded it u+x and I think I can live with putting an extra ">"
redirection char on the command line ;).

> It will expect file names as the input, and will output to stdout; you
> will need to redirect to a file if you want to save it.  So do
> something like:
>
> $ perl quoter.pl Guy_On_The_Internet.txt  >quoted-GOTI.txt
>
> where "Guy_On_The_Internet.txt" is the text you want to quote, in a
> file.  You can change the quote character and the number of columns by
> editing the values at the top of the script.

Thanks for the extra features :).

> I assume that input paragraphs come in blocks (i.e. a blank line
> between paragraphs) and that you want to keep paragraphs together, but
> don't care about how lines are wrapped.  Output will have block
> paragraphs, too.

Thanks. Yes, you assumed correctly and it worked as you and I intended.

> I hope I'm not helping perpetuate some facebook flame war...

Hehe, don't worry. It's a civil discussion. However it just struck me
that the person on the other end don't have this script and she'd have
to do this manually. Hmm.. I could always suggest that we change to
communicating through email instead I suppose. Your script will in any
case be very useful to me while in facebook. Thanks for taking your
time to write it for me!

> p.s.
> I'm stuck on a windows machine right now, so please ignore the weird
> carriage returns in the script text.

No problem. I used the "tofrodos" debian package to quickly convert it
into "linux" format.

I skimmed your script searching for any "rm -rf /" and such and am
happy to report that it is short, readable and does no nasty stuff.
Thanks; I'll be using your solution to my problem.

--
Regards,

Thomas Anderson
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur"