Program for quoting text like in email?

Can anyone recommend a program/shell script/editor plugin etc, that
can take arbitrary text as input and quote it like email programs
quote emails with a preceding "> " character?

I'm about to reply to a very long facebook message and want to quote
it and make inline replies. But facebook only supports top-posting.
I'd like to cut-n-paste the text I wish to reply, quote it with "> "
and then cut-n-paste it back into my facebook reply message. I'd also
like line breaks to be put in once every 80 characters (email
standard?).

I use Debian Lenny.

--
Regards,

Thomas Anderson
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur"