Re: LVM how to

In <[🔎] h06ons$dl6$1@ger.gmane.org>, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>On Wed, 20 May 2009 00:34:24 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
>> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 07:17:48AM +1000, gianni wrote:
>>> HI lists
>>> how can I resize the LVM default partition layout of debian? the root
>>> is to small around 400mb... I looked around the web but it look like I
>>> need to do that from a rescue cd, which one should I use?
>>
>> You don't need a rescue CD, and you can even do it while the filesystem
>> is mounted!
>
>So the warnings about unmounting the file system before expanding it in
>the "LVM HOWTO section 11.9. Extending a logical volume" at
>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html
>are strictly obsolete?
>
>I'm talking about an etch system with an ext3 file system on llvm on raid.

While I still recommend a backup, I've never needed one when expanding
reiserfs or ext2/3.[1!]  JFS and XFS are also supposed be to growable
online.

If shrinking a filesystem, you will need to unmount it; some filesystems
don't like being shrunk at all.

[1] NB: There was (and may still be) two different resizers for ext2/3.  One
works only online, one works only offline.  I think the online one is
recommended by the ext2/3 developers now.