Re: apt pinning and getting linux-image-686 from unstable

In <[🔎] h06nj1$fon$1@ger.gmane.org>, emikaadeo wrote:
>H.S. wrote:
>> Can somebody tell me if the following is possible using apt pinning? I
>> want to install the newer version of kernel (linux-image-2.6-686, ver
>> now is, I think, 2.6.29-3) from Untable to my Testing machine.
>>
>> I am thinking of using apt pinning. Something like:
>> ~$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
>> Package: *
>> Pin: release a=testing
>> Pin-Priority: 700
>>
>> Package: <package to be pulled from unstable>
>> Pin: release a=unstable
>> Pin-Priority: 1000
>>
>> Package: *
>> Pin: release a=unstable
>> Pin-Priority: -1
>
>Would it be easier to just pin unstable repo like this? :
>
>Package: *
>Pin: release a=testing
>Pin-Priority: 700
>
>Package: *
>Pin: release a=unstable
>Pin-Priority: 500
>
>and then install newer kernel by:
>aptitude -t unstable install linux-image-2.6.29-2-686

If you are just following Squeeze/Sid then it's even simpler.  After adding
unstable to sources.list, set APT::Default-Release to "testing" in apt.conf.
Now testing will have a priority of 900, unstable will have a priority of
500, and installed packages will (still) have a priority of 100.

Then run the aptitude install command provided by emikaadeo.