Re: apt pinning and getting linux-image-686 from unstable

H.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can somebody tell me if the following is possible using apt pinning? I
> want to install the newer version of kernel (linux-image-2.6-686, ver
> now is, I think, 2.6.29-3) from Untable to my Testing machine.
>
> I am thinking of using apt pinning. I know that I need to set the
> default release to "testing" in apt.conf, add unstable sources to
> sources.list and then create /etc/apt/preferences file specifying the
> package I want from unstable and its priority. Something like:
> ~$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 700
>
> Package: <package to be pulled from unstable>
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 1000
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: -1
>
> Now, what do I put in place of <package to be pulled from unstable>?
> Should be linux-image-2.6.29-1-686? In this case, only this version of
> the kernel would be pulled from Unstable and no updates?
>
> Or should it be linux-image-2.6-686? But this would then just check
> unstable for updates to the default kernel in testing and ignore the
> updates to the default testing package of the same name, right?
>
> Or should I use:
> Package: linux-image-2.6-686
> Pin: release a=unstable, version 2.6.29*
> Pin-Priority: 1000
>

> Thanks.

Would it be easier to just pin unstable repo like this? :

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 500

and then install newer kernel by:
aptitude -t unstable install linux-image-2.6.29-2-686