Re: gspca driver on debian sid (amd64)

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 22:00:47 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

I missed the OP and am coming in late here...

Maybe this is (supposed to be?) fixed in sid, but I had a bit of trouble
getting my gspca camera working again after upgrading to 2.6.27 in lenny.
Here's the little shell script wrapper I wrote that fixed it for me
(details are in the comments).

Name the script '$HOME/bin/fix_webcam_app' and then symlink your cam-using apps
to it. For example,
  ln -s $HOME/bin/fix_webcam_app $HOME/bin/skype
  ln -s $HOME/bin/fix_webcam_app $HOME/bin/camorama
or whatever.  As long as $HOME/bin comes earlier in your path than the path to
the real app things should work.  (Note my script assumes the real apps live in
/usr/bin/.  That might not be true for your skype install.)

-- Script to fix
#!/bin/bash
# Needed for gspca in kernel 2.6.27 and up
#   See http://moinejf.free.fr/gspca_README.txt
#      Most applications don't know how to decode the raw frames generated by
#      the webcams, and also, many of them do not speak the V4L2 interface. To
#      make them work, you need the V4L application library found at:
# NOTE: You must install the libv4l-0 debian package (which contains the
# compat lib below).

exe=`basename "$0"`
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so "/usr/bin/${exe}" "$@"