Re: 64Bit installation on a 500 GB Sata DRIVE

Klaus Jantzen wrote:
> On 06/03/2009 09:05 AM, Rod James Bio wrote:
>> Its a Seagate HD. I dont have the exact model number. Now I am
>> checking if this is a hardware problem. One thing that bothers me is
>> why does 32bit works?
>>
>> Klaus Jantzen wrote:

>>> Who is the manufacturer of your HD? What is the type?
>>> I installed Debian Lenny 5.0 amd64 on two 500 GB HDs with no problem.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> K. Jantzen
>>>

> If it is a Seagate ST3500320AS (Barracuda ?)  you might have a firmware
> problem.
> For this reason I had to exchange my two drives (which was done with no
> problems).
> The firmware for this HD _must_ be version SD1A. You could download and
> install the new firmware
> yourself (refer to the Seagate website) but that is of any use only if
> you load the new firmware _before_ you
> do any formatting otherwise you should return it to your dealer or to
> Seagate.
>
> If you have any questions, let me know.
>
> --
>
> K. Jantzen

I got bitten by the firmware bug on Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives,
but it was supposed to kill the drive upon reboot, not to prevent
partitioning ?
I have Debian amd64 installed on such Seagates 500GB, and WS 500GB
(WD5001AALS-00L3B2) too (raid1) with no problem.

Tom