Re: How do you get iceweasel (or another browser) to save what otherwise the flashplayer plays?

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 12:19:59PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2009-06-01 02:36 +0200, lee wrote:
>
> > On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 08:25:37AM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> >>
> >> How about "dpkg --purge flashplugin-nonfree"?  If you do not trust
> >> Adobe, stop using their closed-source software.
> >
> > I'd gladly do that, but how would I watch the videos then?
>
> If you insist on viewing any video on the planet, there is probably no
> really satisfactory solution.  But you could at least try swfdec-mozilla
> and/or mozilla-plugin-gnash which will play some videos.

I didn't try to watch "any" videos, only the ones I wanted to see.

> If (i.e. when)
> you encounter sites that to not work with them, you can press Ctrl-u and
> search for ".flv" in the page source which often reveals a URL to a file
> you can download, bringing you back to your original question.

Well, try that on this site, for example:
http://www.blinkx.com/video/star-trek-the-next-generation-tng-remember-me/EG__neFe_Val0UlBlbE4mA

Why can the web browser not just allow me to download the videos like
all others?

> So far I've been able to avoid Adobe's crash-plugin.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to crash as often as it did since I
stopped running KDE. I watched the first three seasons of TNG without
the player crashing. But anyway, the player sucks.