Problems with vnc + gnome

Hi, I'm trying to use vnc with gnome on my debian 5 server, but I've
got some problems with gnome.
I installed everything with apt-get install tightvncserver gnome, and
I uncommented the first two lines:
# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

I can connect to the server, and gnome is working but I have two problems.
- I can't utilize gnome panels. They are there but if I click on them
nothing happens
- The keyboard layout is totally messed up: the backspace is binded to
the number 5 and stuff like that

I can't figure out what to do to solve this.

Thanks,
Francesco